Don't Be a Fool
Several years ago I jotted down these vows during a church service in east Texas, where a friend, Max Kennedy, was preaching:
1. I promise to depend on God alone to provide for all my needs.
2. I promise to remind myself daily that I cannot accomplish my calling without the Holy Spirit.
3. I promise not to seek significance or approval in what others think about me.
4. I promise never to convince myself that I am indispensable.
5. I promise not to isolate myself in sin, sorrow or success.
6. I promise to be a man/woman of God...not a whiny, little baby.
7. I promise to be myself, not some version of someone I wish I was.
8. I promise to never stop saying "Yes" to new ministry opportunities.
9. I promise to walk with the Lord...not run.
10. I promise to prioritize renewal in my weekly and yearly schedules.
I ran across these today and needed to be reminded that those promises I make to God when I am going through the valley are just as real as the ones I make on the mountaintop. Have you ever promised something to God out of desperation? I know I have. I need to follow through with foxhole commitments.
Today is a good day to revisit those commitments we've made to God.
Ecclesiastes 5:4 says, "When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow."
Let's do it today!